Posted on Nov 30, 2015

Gillingham 1XI vs Trojans 2XI Saturday 28 November 2015

Every week throws up a new challenge for the recently promoted Gillingham 1XI. This week it was the visit of Trojans 2XI, who after a slow start to the season had picked up recent points and confidence.  The women’s 1XI provided the inspiration needed for the Men’s team, hammering Bournemouth 3-0.

Despite not starting with the ball, we started well and scored an early breakaway goal courtesy of a Matt Lewis through ball to OT. He made no mistake with his first time shot under the keeper. An early lead. (1-0)  Even though we were having less of the ball,  Gillingham doubled the lead on 10 minutes when a quality cross came in from the left. It found Huw, who beat the keeper to the ball and scored from close range with skill. (2-0)

We knew Trojans would be skilful due to recent results against top of the league Winchester and due to their scary name. Their skilful forward line soon came into the game with 2 quick fire goals from open play.  (2-1) (2-2). Doh!  The game was being played at a ferocious pace, with Gillingham missing several chances to extend their lead. As the half time whistle blew, the 2-2 score line was probably a fair reflection of the match so far.

The second half started as the first had ended. Both teams having to deal with pressure, fast passing moves and the occasional mistake, which needed punishing. Tackles were flying in and commitment was high. It was Trojans who found space in the D after 45 minutes and they were suddenly in the lead. (2-3)

To the home teams credit, they didn’t give up and were rewarded with a trio of short corners. After two efforts, Joe Miller stepped up to the plate and nailed a beauty in the bottom corner. (3-3)  Gillingham were back in the game!

Unfortunately not for long. After losing possession on the right, the blues conceded yet another cheap goal. A cheeky reverse chip/miss-hit thing by a lad with stylish spikey hair and a golden stick (say no more!) In all fairness it was a quality finish, especially as he being ambushed by a diving keeper and desperate defender. (4-3)

For the remaining 7 minutes Trojans ran the clock down and Gillingham had a frustrating goal disallowed due to a Eddie foot. It just wasn’t to be. A combination of missed chances (by Steve, Huw, Eddie, Chris and OT) and an opposition taking their chances was the theme of the day. A draw would have been fair result.

Excellent teas and hospitality, in the form of Millers homemade meatball subs (secret family recipe) were enjoyed by all. The Gillingham spirit is still high and promotion remains our target.

Man of the match was Sam Rutter for silky skills, Dick of the Day went to Edd Feltham for giving the ball away and not getting his stick to an attack and tried to use his feet!